Tweets From Last Night - Travel Predictions for 2011
What is going to happen in Travel in 2011? Twitter's travel enthusiasts got together to discuss everything frrom TSA to budget friendly spots for the upcoming year. Gemalto, a leader in digital security, sponsored the event, and @poohstraveler won a $250 visa gift card just in time for Christmas!
Q1. What stamp will you put on your passport this year?
- I’ll be getting 11 new stamps on my passport this year from participating in the Mongol Rally @rickgriffin
- Definitely Canada for #TBEX 11! @vagabond3live
- I'm planning on quitting my job this summer to backpack through Europe - very excited for Spain and Poland especially. @sillyamerica
Q2. What is the future of travel technology? Digital safety?
- The overall theme of travel tech is: Connectivity whether it's wifi, friends, devices or whatever. @travelsceneUSA
- Teleportation. Flying just sucks. @spudhilton
- RFID technology to track luggage and in passports. Provided privacy folks don't freak @BPlewis
Q3. Destination hot-spots/best deals for 2011? Why?
- Ireland and Greece. They need the € !!! @metsbwd
- Between Royal Wedding, Queen's Diamond Jubilee & 2012 Olympics England will be hottest worldwide destination @epsteintravels
- Clearly Australia because of one word: oprah @vaiviablog
Does this picture make you want to visit the land down under?
Q4. What new gadget or travel app is a must-have for 2011?
- I think @cabojulie would agree it's all about the DROID @cabopro
- Mobile check-in on all phones for all airlines all the time. Not selective/restrictive/limited @travel_version
- Travel app: Where's My Husband - would sell millions! @travelgirlmag
- Must have travel app for 2011 is the Priceline bidding app. I've save so much $$$ @vegasbill
Q5. Tips for friends traveling abroad in 2011?
GET ON TWITTER! @sunseadodger
Let your bank know you are traveling & bring multiple forms of payments - some US travelers have issues using US cards @justaskgemalto
Don't be a pansy-ass snob, stay in a hostel. @candicewalsh
Watch the exchange rates...very easy to get urprised by a volatile rate! @metsbwd
Q6. Be Nostradamus…give us your BIG travel prediction for 2011?
- Airlines and Internet booking site SMACKDOWN goes south, Air sold at McDonalds Drive-thru @orlandochris
Let's all hope that @orlandochris is wrong about this one!
- I would say there will be a mad dash to Asia & Cuba where new doors r opening for travelers @bbadwoman
- Continued mergers and integration of airlines across the globe will, sadly, mean airfare prices will slowly go up @leorawrs81
- #TNI Will become so popular even Greenpeace will have to harpoon the #failwhale @Banff_Squirrel
Q7. What #TNI themes would you like to see in 2011?
- Please, a theme about #Ecotourism or #Communitytourism or anything related! @ecuadorguides
- Lots more on backpacking, cheap destinations, 'broke-ass travel'TM, and youth travel @offtrackplanet
- How about Wine Regions around the world @leavetheiguana
- Definitely a photo #TNI . Also an on-location one where all #TNIers get together! And... more food/drink ones @globaldish
- Wildlife/ecotourism, US back roads, travel haiku day @lpusastaff
Q8. What is the future of airport security? New airline fees?
- The future of airport security is that it will force Amtrak to create better routes at better prices. (fingers crossed) @newyorkguest
Q9. How will social media impact the future of travel?
- It's going to be way harder to avoid that girl from Cleveland you 'met' in Cancun and who thinks you're in the NFL @banffrocks
- Less reliance on guidebooks, paper or electronic @rtwdave
- More soc travel planning thru FB & sites like bonvoy, gogobot,etc. @wanderlust13
Q10. What is your travel resolution for 2011?
- To travel more & share good finds on Twitter and #TNI @magellanPR
- Don't hold back. There's so much to see and do, there's just no sense in waiting to see the world. Go big or go home. Endure - go with the flow more @travel_version
- To help women explore the world - one destination at a time. :) @hotelhostess
- To travel slower and more sustainably than in 2010, but to enjoy it more @eurapart
What new developements do you think will happen in travel in 2011?