Tweets from Last Night - Innovative Travel
This week travelers from around the globe got innovative - so dive into the (possible) future of travel! Join us every Thursday at 3:30pm by searching the #TNI on twitter.
Q1. You are a travel pioneer – one thing you would do to make travel easier?
- Global wi-fi @rickgriffin
- Convert to super sonic jet w/out fare increase @travelingperly
- Smartphone based keyless entry for hotel rooms @iprefer
- getting a universal visa! no ore applications, waiting or trips to the embassy! @lifeoutofasuitc
Q2. Most imaginative food you’ve ever eaten? Where?
- Dinner in coach class on an international flight! @middleseatview
- Deep fried hicken claws in #China are certainly something I would not have imagined to make myself! @inga_ros
- My mom's food. Growing up she'd burn chicken and call it Cajun style. What an imagination...:) @ishouldlogoff
- Groundnut soup with fufu, crab, smoked fish, beef, snail, mushroom, eggplant "zoo soup" #TNI #Ghana http://twitpic.com/4npf18 @wherechugo
Q3. Most innovative form of transportation you’ve taken?
- I must admit, I'm a sucker for a good funicular @landlopers
- The Riceboats in Kerala were fabulous. There's nothing quite like waking up to the peace of the lake in the morning @livesharetravel
- Segway (when I was working on Arrested Development)! @conciergeQ
- Lamborghini LP650 @only398
Tight Rope through the jungle in Ecuador
Q4. Ground-breaking hotel or hostel? Why?
- Loved the hostels in Cappadocia, Turkey - they're all built in caves! I mean, who doesn't want to sleep in a cave at least once? @lindsaytessis
- I like Fairmont's allergy-friendly menus with gluten free among the mix @kerrberr
- Floating 'hotel' Manatee Riverboat Explorer down the Amazon tributary rivers in Ecuador. Enjoy nature passing you by from your room @ecuadorguide
- The ice hotels in Alaska and Sweden always get my vote for ground-breaking or rather 'ice' breaking. @inroadsireland
Q5. Inventive way you’ve recovered from travel delays/bad luck on the road?
- Told a Mexican customs inspector that all the spare motorcycle parts in my truck were for a wheelbarrow. @americansahara
- Well a glass of tequila never harmed anything #DontJudge @Traveldesigned
- Playing table hockey for 6 hours in a Nicaraguan immigration office while our Bangladeshi friend sorted out visa details @PHGgroupssales
Q6. Anti-innovation…what do you miss from travel days gone by?
- getting an 'I crossed the Equator' sticker from @klm when flying Amsterdam to Nairobi @cliffhousehotel
- The anticipation of waiting for your photos to be developed when you get home. @travelfootprint
- More comfortable seats on planes, keeping shoes on through security, liquids, barely edible food and free baggage @santafetraveler
- I miss roomy seats in coach. And not having to remove shoes & get frisked or photographed naked in order to fly @marilyn_res
Q7. Imaginative ways to save money while traveling?
- I’d like to attempt to fly-n-dash @jetsetfarryn
- Buy fresh groceries & pack your own lunches & have picnics. @cybertoad
- Using your reciprocal museum member benefits, using your student ID, Foursquare check in discounts @ehalvey
- Couchsurfing. I think it still weirds some people out. But quite creative imo @gat_tourschina
Q8. Best social media travel tips?
Ask Twitter & FB friends for good places to visit, eat at, etc, before your trip & take good notes! @cybertoad
- www.couchsurfing.org. Even just to ask for local tips! @allaboutmexico
- Blogging is a great way to recall names of places, people & experiences- take some time to write & snap photos if you have time! @windstarcruises
- Be succinct, witty, and appropriate. Don't bombard. Add photos. Try to meet up in real life. @whygothailand
Q9. State-of-the-art features you’d like to see on airplanes?
Seat-back Nespresso machines on all redeye flights @banff_squirrel
- Engines that don't give off greenhouse gases and deplete oil reserves. @eurapart
- WiFi on all #planes! @only398
- Foot massagers at every seat! Eject button for obnoxious passengers! @weekendinparis
Q10. World’s most innovative city? Why?
- Legoland? @hjortur
- EPCOT? (Experimental Prototype City of Tomorrow!) @packdsuitcase
- Hong Kong, for their nightly light show alone. Best I've ever seen. @rtwdave
- Most innovative city: Yakutsk, Russia. Quarter-million living on stilts, over permafrost. @reidontravel