Tweets from Last Night - Hitting the Road!
Spring is here, and that means road trip season is upon us! Travelers' Night In #TNI hit the road last night; globe trotters chatted about their road trip road rules and what inspires them to get out and drive. Iconic drives, concerts you can't miss and roadside attractions are all calling your name, so fill up your tank and hit the road (but make sure read the #TNI recap first)!
Q1. Famous (or not) person past or present you’d like to hit the road with?
- Can I just tag along with Mario Testino on a @voguemagazine shoot? KyleHepp
- Ricky Gervais. I love people who can make me laugh. #tni @rickygervais allaboutmexico
- I think taking any road trip with Anthony Bourdain would be an incredible adventure. @noreservations WillingFoot
- Would be cool to visit nat'l parks with John Muir Liz_Webber
- The world would look even more beautiful with Cary Grant escorting you :) WindstarCruises
Q2. Favorite games or entertainment for making time pass in the road?
- SLEEP - Road trips tend to make me sleepy - so I am NOT a good co-pilot during the evening hours..... GoApril
- Alphabet game: In order, spot words beginning with letters A-Z. giopalatucci
- Scrabble, Chess + Bubble drop on the Ipad BeachmereInn
- Yes, I also love to see the world go by. No games needed. DonNadeau
- Is napping while someone else does the driving a game? ;) Jess_Skel
Q3. Craziest story while on a road trip?
- getting hit or getting hit by, depending on your view, a moose in Norway 2trucks1week
- A bee got into motorcycle driver helmet while riding in open road! HennArtOnline
- Long story short- I had a mouse for a car-mate for a while dontforgetspork
- We got stopped by police once who told us to drive 'as fast as we can' as the bridge ahead was closing in 10 minutes! redhunttravel
- Driving cross country saw "two weird clouds" in Tulsa. Then it hailed. Later learned they were Twin Twisters! YIKES! TravelProducer
- Lost wallet, flat tire, run into HS #English teacher (not literally) & @Shakira in cafe b4 intl fame, on road #Venezuela annein140
Woman walking her cow in South America
Q4. How to you prepare before hitting the road? What do you pack?
- My pillow! HennArtOnline
- As little as possible. Although I do keep extra blankets and water in the car just in case. 1Dad1Kid
- Always go 2 the bathroom first, pack water, car charger 4 phone & a sense of adventure. Never know what will happen on a road trip! WillingFoot
- Water, camera, battery chargers, atlas and maps, spare tire kit... elatlboy
- Love '95 edition NatGeo Scenic Highways & Byways 4 planning. Makes trip so much more enjoyable. DonNadeau
- Lots of patience and good humour! AuthenticCoast
Q5. Dream road trip? Vehicle?
- I rather enjoyed living out of my old Chevy van. The classic VW van would be fun too! dontforgetspork
- Loaded Airstream ZipSetAndrea
- Pilgrimage to world's largest ball of twine in #Kansas! Hubby wants to rent an RV; I say no way! #toomuchtogetherness GoBIG_GoHome
- A pink cadillac convertible (me in 60s sunglasses and headscarf) on the pan-american highway katyabroad
- The Mongol Rally!!! We're hoping to participate next year. :) captainandclark
- Exploring the tropics. Sailboat! MyIslandArtJeff
- Grew up traveling ALOT in a Winnebago-slept 13, so lots of room & we could bring friends. Many fond memories. TravelMaestro
The Grand Canyon is a perfect road trip destination!
Q6. Iconic road trip books/films that have inspired you?
- Trains, Planes, and Automobiles. Anything can happen while trying to get from point WillingFoot
- The Family that Preys by Tyler Perry...just because of the friendship and fun they have traveling cross country! omiprioleau
- thelma and louise! does that count? gogirlonline
- Bridget Jones' Diary 1, the light blue convertible of Hugh Grant when they were driving to the country side. MedjetAssist
- Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance... so inspirational. windstarcruises
- Little Miss Sunshine mselizann
- Rain Man KiltandaCamera
Q7. What is on your road trip playlist?
- The Fratellis, Pistol Annies, Queen... quite the range of music! Pandora is also nice for road trips :) CaptainandClark
- Er, anything Bon Jovi. (Is there shame in this?) And No Doubt. And Books on CD. I am obviously not cool. :) toandfrommag
- Willie, Waylon, and the boys! Cc @LolaDiMarco L_e_a_h
- I also like listening to non fiction audio books. Currently listening to Steve Jobs biography lethers
- Robbie Robertson, Black Keys, Dave Matthews, Leonard Cohen, Paul Weller, Cream, keeps on goin' and goin'... lisajanPA
Q8. Best road-side attraction you’ve seen? Would like to see?
- I never caught his name but he was shirtless and hitching along Route 66.... kymri
- Elephant & camel rides in Rajasthan, India scoutfinch1
- Best road-side attraction you’ve seen? Would like to see? #TNI (Hands down The Big Duck on NY 24, on Long Island - http://t.co/kNptgxUc) flyingwithfish
- Best road-side attraction was in Churchill, Manitoba: http://t.co/lHIDnsXq chibeba
- Cabo Pulmo National Park - such an amazing snorkel spot! cabojulie
Q9. What are your road trip road rules?
- A9 rules??? 2trucks1week
- Plenty of good music, snacks and travel stories will keep the time flowing! & no tweeting while driving :) Butterflydiary
- If I drive, I pick the tunes. And the temperature. And no-one is allowed to ask 'are we there yet?' katyabroad
- no smelly food, no pit stops after we just got gas, never touch the driver's music and no spraying beer on the driver JoeatGroupon
- If we see something worthy of a Instagram we're stopping rickgriffin
- In the US, stop at all state borders for the cheesy jumping photo. KiltandaCamera
- Dude, no Eagles man 2trucks1week
- If you see an animal on the road, drive into the nearest ditch immediately... Banff_Squirrel
No bad smells is a road trip rule - that means no cuy eating in the car!
Q10. Pros/Cons of road tripping vs. flying?
- No pat-down. May be a pro or a con, depends how you look at it. travel_version
- Road tripping vs flying is really about journey vs destination. HomeExchangeKey
- TSA lines are shorter in my car. Also, more cupholders JennaSchnuer
- You cant feel the wind in your hair on an airplane, but you don't have to drive so you can have cocktails the entire time. deeboochi