Tweets from Friday's Bonus #TNI - Personal Travel
Travelers got a treat on Friday - there was a bonus #TNI sponsored by @HiltonHHonors and @Citibank! The chat also welcomed it's first celebrity guest, @BillRancic, and six lucky tweeps won Hilton HHonors stays! Read on for great money-saving travel tips and stories from around the world.
Q1: How much money do you spend on an average vacation? Tips for saving on hotels and flights?
- About 1000 on a wk vacation,depends where i go. Tips r to join rewards programs LizTicona
- Hard to say since there so many different types of vacations. We definitely take advantage of HHonors deals! marbleoc
- i estimate i spend maybe $1500-$2000 all together on average. tip: shop around shop around #solotravel jonk
- . Shopping around for deals on flights so I can splurge on meals & accommodation. Budget = 60% transportation, 40% rest travel_version
All inclusives are a great way to stay on budget - Los Cabos, Mexico
Q2: What are your best tips for traveling with kids? Our guest @BillRancic could use some as he prepares for fatherhood!
- find hotels that have nearby attractions or activities on property MeganMc19906
- They are little sponges, let them soak in the world and forgive if they get over-excited or over-tired ZipSetAndrea
- about $1000 per week. Be flexible, and be open to different dates of travel, etc mselizann
- Involve kids heavily in planning process both before & during. Instill "ownership" of trip. DonNadeau
Q3: Do you shop before vacation or while at your destination? Favorite spot to spend?
- I like to be prepared, so I shop before. Take 1 less stress away from the trip starburstt
- I like to pick something up at each vacation spot I go. Nice reminder of the trip! pumpkin_pie76
- Shopping in the destination is part of the fun. Better to buy 1 great souvenir (jacket, dress) than several useless things. ditchcity
Harrod's in London
Q4: What special perks make your vacations most memorable?
- Quality time away from WORK. PERKS Great service, great food, & meeting wonderful people along the way. LifebyCynthia
- Truly, I love the details. Amenities. Turndown service. Great views. Airport transfers... butterflydiary
- views are always a great memory, i like to walk in my room and see beauty not a brick wall GeeEmm
- i love when the towels are fluffy, the bed is comfy, and the wifi is free! xxkimhcxx
- Upgrades are super sweet. I'm a new(ish) @HiltonHHonors member. TravelSweeps
Q5: If cost wasn’t an issue, where would you book a last minute summer vacation & with what perks?
- a great perk there would be a room with a balcony that overlooks the Great Barrier Reef. starburstt
- A trip down to Australia and New Zealand with a stop in Bora Bora on the way there (or back, not picky!) ^MY FareBuzz
- To #Kenya to watch the Masai Migration... F&B, flights and internal transportation included. Sounds divine. dlcuratolo
The Four Seasons in Chang Mai has an elephant camp - a pretty cool perk!
Q6. What’s your favorite souvenir you’ve ever brought back for a friend/family member? From where?
- A handmade teddy bear made from alpaca (SUPER soft) for my son, from Peru 1Dad1Kid
- Bottle of Genghis Khan vodka which is distilled from sacred spring Genghis prayed at and wheat fields near his home OTPTravel
- Bought my mom a set of vintage 20's style wine glasses in Arezzo @ their infamous #antiques fair
- always bring my mom a coffee cup from wherever I go :-) dlcuratolo
- My friend is a tea fanatic. I brought her back some incredible smokey tea from Harrod's while in London nycng