Tweets from Last Night - Cultural Experiences!
Last night Travelers Night In got cultured, with Cultural Traditions #TNI! Read all about globe trotters favorite traditional food, drink and celebrations!
Q1. Ever planned a trip get to know a specific culture or one of their traditions? Tell us about it!
- yes, to #Barrow #Alaska to see the native culture at work. Very different than modern city in the lower 48 BrooksCruiseSvc:
- Inspired by my linage, I booked my 1st trip to Ireland to get to know more of the culture... Got the flavor, but need to return! MGPTravelBlog:
- 95% of my trips. Garieng in Thailand, Tibetan exiles in India, nomads in Mongolia, Tamang in Nepal OTPTravel:
- A big draw to Buenos Aires for me was the chance to experience the music and dance of tango there. rtwdave
- Trip to #Dublin for St. Patrick's Day - and I learned how differently the Irish celebrate it than everyone else... ZipSetGo
Q2. Most inspiring cultural tradition you ever came across while traveling?
- Not sure if it is as inspiring as interesting. Kava drinking ceremony at the chief's house in Fiji would be my favorite. BrooksCruiseSvc
- Daily ritual of preparing offerings in Ubud, Bali. Intriguing and beautiful. Lori_Rice
- In Bali, observing the daily offerings is so inspiring! The colors and smiles on everyone's faces... amazing experience! enchantetravel
- I'm not sure it's cultural tradition per se, but watching how the people of Botswana interact with the aimals is amazing to see. Chimeratravel
- The national pride of going to a New Zealand All Blacks rugby game was pretty awesome! leeabamonte
Q3. Which country or culture dons your favorite traditional dress?
ZipsetAndrea's Irish husband and his friends at a wedding!
- Def love the tradition dress of Polynesia.. Aloha lol KirkCole
- The beaches of Rio BridalTravelGuy
- Paris, if haute couture is considered "traditional dress." jettingaround
- Speaking of Peru, I like the traditional dresses worn by the women in the Andes. For example: http://t.co/dSoZK29c rtwdave
- Austria! The Austrian Dirndl, a colorful traditional dress that's very flattering: http://t.co/y48552WZ austriatravel
- I love the costumes that are designed for Carnival! They spend months creating them http://t.co/pS0GiM2W windjammerstl
Q4. Cultural tradition that you just don’t understand…?
- NASCAR valinreallife
- I don't quite understand why the US can't get behind Europe's siesta "tradition" :) @farebuzz
- Breaking dishes at a wedding. Those could come in handy later on! Intelity
- haggis! TravelMaestro
- Not opening a gift when someone gives it to you... they miss all the emotion and reaction... it's most of the fun! tinalyra
Q5. Picture time! Post an image of one of the cultural traditions you have experienced while traveling.
- This is what I call cultural tradition...#Greece at Easter. http://t.co/zveHU3h3 Yum! :) mina_travelive
- Being invited to dinner at my guide's home in Battambang, Cambodia (twice). Mmm, curry-stuffed frogs. http://t.co/FT30JSvV rtwdave
- My sister lighting a candle in a church in the French Quarter, New Orleans. http://t.co/RlR3wcFb CityPASS
- Buddhist blessing in Cambodia - it was wet! http://t.co/JgBSXGbh DestnUnknown
- A great Irish tradition. http://t.co/crg8eYf4 ZipSetAndrea
Q6. Favorite traditional food you’ve discovered in your travels? Drink?
- kava, tastes gross but makes you feel wonderful VoyageJason
- Discovered Thai food in Thailand is nothing like Thai food at home. And surprised at unique and delish Malaysian food in Penang. GRobin
- Bratwurst. Liverwurst. - German Food… I had great sschweinshaxe once. Ym, makes me hungry now! ur
- Schnitzel & Bavarian beer. FlyingPhotog
- The Arab dish, ruz bil she'reya (rice and noodles), is delicious, but not so great for those trying to watch their carbs Intelity
- One of my favorite traditions! Drinking beer in Germany :) http://t.co/iz71ssEb danthompson_TN
- Shanghai dumplings http://t.co/TqZJebAP lindblomsten
- Favorite traditional food U’ve discovered in travels? Drink? A6: Liver, favas beans & a nice Chianti: http://t.co/20A1TVah CravenTravels
Q7. Best cultural celebration in the world? What does it include?
- Kuomboka ceremony - the Litunga Lozi king of Barotseland moves his people down the Zambezi to the floodplains - pretty awesome! TripAfrica
- Hv u been to this The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta?? - #HotAirBalloon http://t.co/6VsdT8iS BBADWoman
Q8. Which tradition do you wish you could adopt?
- Siesta, for sure. CityPASS
- Buddhist Meditation ... I have no attention span for it flyingwithfish
- Argentina's obsession with fernet. Swear its true if you drink fernet all night you dont get hangovers. Ive done extensive research KcKal
- The Queen's Jubilee http://t.co/3CJlu3gL RickGriffin
- Carnival in Brazil or Bolivia. All those costumes, glitter, feathers...love it. BBADWoman
Q9. Favorite traditional music in the world? Dance?
- As a bridesmaid at a Zambian wedding I had to learn 6 traditional dances. so much fun! UK wedds could benefit from more dancing!.. TripAfrica
- Not sure it's "traditional" but Bollywood numbers give me LIFE. Great to work out too, dance to, travel to, etc. tinationdavid
- Viennese Waltz – enjoy it during Vienna’s carnival season and countless balls – some of which you can attend in a Dirndl. austriatravel
- going to have to go with Irish drinking songs VoyageJason
Q10. One traveling ritual you perform that seems foreign to everyone else?
- Getting n the plane and in my seat quickly so everyone else behind me can board. BrooksCruiseSvc
- Pack EVERYTHING in ziplock bags SandiMcKenna
- I'm super-polite to my JetBlue flight attendant. Banff_Squirrel
- I bring my own packets of jasmine tea in my carry-on or day pack. It's my favorite beverage and works anywhere. dstinationdavid
- Walking up airport escalators or using regular stairs! DonNadeau
- Tweeting on vacation. MattSoleyn
- I carry balloons in my carry-on, have quieted many a screaming child to great applause. CravenTravels
- I put my earbuds and lip balm in my coat pocket when I'm at the gate. No need to dig through my carry-on on the plane. DitchCity