Tweets from Last Night - Weather while Traveling
Last night's Traveler's Night In was all about the weather while traveling... the good, the bad, and the disastrous. Adventurers from around the globe shared their best weather-related stories and Insuremytrip was on hand to give three lucky tweeps Kindle Fire E-Readers! Read on for the best of their stories, and make sure to compare travel insurance on Insuremytrip.com before your next big adventure.
Q1. When has the weather ruined your travel plans? How did you recover?
- When has the #weather ruined your #travel plans? How did you recover? (Slept in LHR for 2 days when JFK & BOS were shut due to snow) flyingwithfish
- This is why I always suggest ppl arm themselves w/options through a CVB site.That way u never fall victim 2 bad weather thetravelmom
- so far I've never had a holiday ruined because of weather. Closest was going to Cuba right after a hurricane hit. girlsgetaway
- Hurricane Francis interrupted our Honeymoon in Turks and Caicos. We had to reschedule Parrot Cay mid-trip. LuxeTiffany
- Had to overnight in the bar on Vancouver's Grouse Mtn once due to a blizzard. Yeah, that was tough. ;-) TheSundayDriver
- Rain while trekking in Nepal. Put on the water proof gear and kept going..nothing can stop you if you're determined on having fun ;) CirclesOwner
- Check out this flight that was cancelled because the pavement MELTED around the wheels due to the heat! http://t.co/N0g3CpOr milewise
Q2. How have you improvised when you didn’t pack right for your destination’s weather?
- Garbage bags make for great raincoats! discoverusaCA
- Other than with my Visa card? :-) Layer of newspaper under clothes to cut wind. Bread bags in shoes to keep water out. jonvick
- Surprise snow storm at the top of the mountain with only 2 wheel drive. Hello expensive emergency chains. reidtravels
- Did you guys see this amazing shot taken of the hailstorm in NYC yesterday? http://t.co/Oiec9M8r CasaHop
- Didn't know I'd need a bathingsuit, went to the nearest store & got bathingsuit-esque underwear. Luckily it was Europe so I fit in. FreakOutOfTown
Q3. Destination with the worst weather? Best?
- Worst Dover England! Best Tahiti! HennArtOnline
- Worst Seattle , best San Diego! slstaffo
- Bangkok. Thought I was going to suffocate from the heat and humidity. Cold beer helps. http://t.co/SUfjUueQ MarkVogler
- David Hasselhoff said "England has two seasons: Winter and July". This year, we only have one.... Guess which. Mikeachim
Q4. What do you do on rainy days when you are on vacation?
- Already mentioned this in the first answer, but good food/drinks & even better conversation always makes up for rainy vacations serve123
- Raid the shopping malls TravelingPerly
- I drink a lot LeeAbbamonte
- Pubs, Shops, and Trains. Love a train ride on a rainy day! TheDealMommy
- Museums and restaurant hopping are favorite rainy day #travel activities for me. Cafes are perfect for people watching too! nnvoyage
- Put on a hat, wrap the camera in a zip lock and keep going! http://t.co/h2G91Z8g MarkVogler
- Laugh in the face of a monsoon, spit in the face of a storm then head back to the bar ;) MalloryOnTravel
Q5. How do you prepare for winter travel? Travel during hurricane season?
- Hope for the best, brace for the worst.| TravelSweeps
- Eat nutella crepes, lots of them! girlsgetaway
- Bottle of brandy, hot chocolate mix; bottle of cheap red, mulling spices. Firewood. Apples to Apples. ephemerratic
- Traveling during the hurricane season is cheaper, prepare to be updated on weather 24/7 from your smart phone brightroam
- I will avoid traveling on winter time or hurricane season with the exception of Norway to see the Northern Lights TravelingPerly
- Insure is definitely a good call during h'cane season, it let's you travel stress-free while saving $ on rates! windjammerstl
Q6. Most extreme natural disaster you have witnessed while traveling?
- CO wildfire and hurricane Irene last summer. It was surreal. RunawayJuno
- Going outside after too many Hurricanes @PatOBriensBar in NOLA and finding it's daylight. Now THAT is a disaster! MarkVogler
- #Hurricane while camping in the #Adirondacks! Yikes. dlcuratolo
- Sand storms in the Middle East. TravelingPerly
- Saw the aftermath of earthquakes in Christchurch (heartbreaking, I love that town) and felt some scary aftershocks. jonvick
- Nothing horrible, but unbelievably serious rains & flooding in Thailand; almost missed our boat back from Phi Phi KWanderlust3
- Blizzard in Quebec, had to stop at old spooky hotel. reminded me of the Munster's place! mostextreme natural disaster while traveling? girlsgetaway
Q7. Most beautiful weather you’ve seen? Show us your best weather/sky pic!
- Most beautiful.. Key West Fl. sunset was magnificent, perfect weather , no hurricanes!! brendakae42
- Sunset in the Pelion, Greece http://t.co/orDTuvKl MalloryOnTravel
- And here's a summer sunrise. http://t.co/HT4yRCGc CityPASS
- A cactus so high, it reached the sky #baja http://t.co/fuR6eSMh AnujAdhiya
- The Aurora Borealis in Greenland. b) A moonbow (nightime rainbow) in Shropshire, UK. Both beautiful in a mystical way lethers
- Sweet #weather pic: Partly cloudy, not humid, 80-degrees, nice breeze. (Taken in Costa Rica last October.) http://t.co/2vEHKc0X MattSoleyn:
- My skydiving in NZ http://t.co/D53oF43S TravelingPerly
- great weather in Salvador de Bahia, Brazil on the day of the Carnival! http://t.co/BL4qU4Dm The bay looked amazing! piggybackrideAZ
Q8. Have you ever been in a wild snow storm? How did you cope?
- Ha ha--see A1 answer: forced overnight in bar on Vancouver's Grouse Mtn--such a trial. ;-) TheSundayDriver
- was driving between springfield & Peoria IL and they closed the highway due to snow & ice - got police escort to a rest stop GeekDad248
- Yes, we call them "Powder Days" and we head to the ski hill! CityPASS
- Snowed in for 7 days in Seattle in Dec '08. Pulled out the cross country skis to the market & coffee shop. Many others did same. enchantetravel
- Many ... Bundled up, hunkered down with a hot toddy or two SandiMcKenna
Q9. How do you prepare for any unexpected weather changes?
- Pop my head out the window and then buy another drink while i decide what to do MalloryOnTravel
- San Francisco style = layers! JetpacApp
- How do you prepare for unexpected #weather A9: I don't! I just travel with a sense of adventure :) windjammerstl
- Just be flexible, 99% of travel problems can be solved by just accepting change as part of the adventure caskifer
- Keep a radar weather app loaded on my smart phone GeekDad248
Q10. Has the weather ever significantly influenced your travel plans? Positive or negative?
- There are trips I chose not to take due to weather Q10. Has the weather RainyDayTravelr
- Hurricane Irene! TravelSquire
- Only the cocktail choices. AuthenticCoast
- Blizzard and fog in Greenland delayed Greenlandair helicopter so missed flight to Copenhagen. Brilliant two extra days exploring. lethers