Tweets from Last NIght - VIPing Your Travel
Last night travelers pulled out all the stops - to talk about VIP travel! American Express sponsored Travelers' Night In #TNI and three lucky travel loving tweeters won $200 gift cards for their next VIP vacation! Want to learn how to VIP your travel? Read on for the best tips on how to upgrade your travel to VIP status.
Q1. What do you believe is the ultimate example of VIP travel?
- SERVICE & round the clock assistance like what AmEx gives its Platinum Card members , thetravelmom
- cruise ship suite with its own private deck GeekDad248
- As long as I have control over the radio/iPod, I feel pretty important while on the road :) Roadtrippers
- Monogrammed pillowcases - which u can then take home! ThePeninsulaBH:
- Still Emirates A380 sleeper: http://t.co/G1pUnzgG CravenTravels
- Hand massage at check-in like we had @vallartagv made great 1st impression
- Had a butler @stregisbhresort , unpacked my bags for me! GirlontheGoJan
- Here are photos from our VIP day with @WalksofItaly at a private Italian farmhouse: http://t.co/SJGnFvnR twoOregonians
We will take a castle in Ireland any day!
Q2. How do you get your favorite hotel to treat you like a VIP?
- be nice, arrive early, be part of the rewards program kittywas
- never really traveled VIP, but the attendant on @VirginAmerica knew my name + hooked me up w/ Bailey's 4 my coffee amywhiggins
- tip service staff well = automatic VIP status KatrinaMauro
- show up with a film crew tranquilotravel
- stay many times. 2. ask 3. act like a VIP CharlesMcCool
- I show them my platinum card .... that'll do nicely Sir MalloryOnTravel
Q3. When traveling, do you take advantage of lounges while waiting for a flight?
- Every chance I get. Love snacks, quiet, gin makes me happy flier. GirlontheGoJan
- yes love coffee lounges and a good book TravelSquire
- I've gotten comp'd passes to airport lounges when they weren't able to upgrade me before - never hurts to ask! lindsey_epperly
- I use my Amex Platinum Card to get in to airport lounges, free food and computers for my four kids=sanity. LuxuryTravelMom
- Like to find airport chapel, always quiet & peaceful innalameda
This view in St. John is pure luxury
Q4. What’s your best tip to travel like a VIP without spending like one?
- Use those miles - upgrades, nice hotels, even rental cars. Feels like splurging but it's free! emilyinchile
- Bring a nice cashmere blanket on int'l flights. It makes you feel "rich". nycmartini
- fly at a time likely 2 be overbooked, then u can volunteer 4 later flight 4 upgrade ZipSetRachel
- Sweet talk, Klout score, charm & charisma. helenabel
- When I ask for an upgrade, I always offer to wait (happily and quietly). Have usually been rewarded with a nicer room LuxuryTravelMom
Q5. Best VIP service you’ve ever witnessed/experienced?
- On a yacht in the bay of Monte Carlo, asked server for caviar & champagne...and he brought it to me... ZipSetAndrea
- Our Chef Concierge flew to London to pick up a guest's dog & travel back to #LA with the dog. ThePeninsulaBH
- We got upgraded to a HUGE suite once b/c there was no shower curtain in our normal room. It was so nice! runaround8
Q6. There seems to be some frustration among frequent fliers; how does elite status perform for you?
- Never managed elite status, but @VirginAmerica SFO doesn't have VIP lounge because terminal is THAT nice ephemerratic
- Getting free flights. Insomniac_24_7
- I think frustration comes from the downgrades as of late - it's still much better than regular travel though! JeffGreatorex
Q7. Ever lose your passport? Have a medical emergency while on vacation? How do you recover from travel mishaps?
- always use my BA card to pay for travel for peace of mind! Bank offers me extra protection mrsoaroundworld
- Always get your booster shots when traveling somewhere new, take medicine with you, and pray! runaround8
- Plan ahead and be extra nice to the costumer service people! zipsetrachel
We love glamorous Italy - especially Venice!
Q8. In-flight must haves for a VIP flight?
- In-flight must haves for a VIP flight? <---free champagne, leg room and being able to sleep on long haul _Sians
- Big sweater, pen for entry papers, Kindle, hand lotion, chapstick, watch. AbbyTegnelia
- BOSE NOISE CANCELING HEADPHONES! they save me from throwing others off the plane lindsey_epperly
- Wi-Fi, Good food, and good booze. soleynm
- Leg room! And a great selection of movies. Roamancing
Q9. What VIP travel perk is most underrated? And overrated?
- overrated-butler-creepy&they don't leave you alone! marktravel
- Underrated- VIP special pass through immigration .Overrated-- Frequent Flyer programs. TravelingPerly
- Most Overrated: Free breakfasts, especially when they begin at 6:30am and business starts at 6am. soleynm
Grand Velas, Puerto Vallarta. Five star and all inclusive - it doesn't get any better!
Q10. Which celeb would you trade places with to take advantage of their VIP status?
- Branson. I would love a whole airline! CharlesMcCool
- Beyonce. Her tumblr is a travel dream. ChangeableView
- John Travolta! I mean he cab fly himself slstaffo
- there's also sean connery.. who isn't going to treat that guy with class DontJudgeMyADD
- I'd switch with Will to travel with Kate as long as all the same benefits apply! Haha! LeeAbbamonte